How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am considering a divorce. Me and my husband both own our

This answer was rated:

I am considering a divorce. Me and my husband both own our property. He pays the morgage monthly and i pay the childcare a pre arranged aggreement. I am currenlty on maternity leave and therefor we dont have current childcare bills. Can he ask me to leave the house because I am not paying the mortgage and he has been paying it for the last 2 years?

Hi, thank you for your question. If the home you live in is the former matrimonial home you have matrimonial home rights which entitle you to live there, even if you do not pay the mortgage or a share of it and he cannot remove you without a court order. You can register your home rights if the property is in his sole name using form HR1 with the land registry and this will be reflected on the title deed and he will be given notice of this.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you