How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My husband left me in July, he had upto that point been

This answer was rated:

My husband left me in July, he had upto that point been coming here 3/4 nights a week to sleep, use shower, take food and money from me. He used to get here between 2300-0000 and left between 0600-0900 never spending more time with me other than to drink a coffee about 15 mins, in the morning I rarely saw him. I am disabled and a full time wheelchair user, he has never since 2007 when this happened ever helped me in any way. However Ian July things came to a head when he tried to threaten me over the sale of a piece of land we own - a different matter which is with solicitors in South Africa where the land is. However he has returned since July three times to the house, each time threatening me and saying he was going to take my wheelchair from under me and leave me on the floor where I should be - the sentence construction had different words which I won't use. He has today sent an email saying he wants keys to the house. I has the locks changed after his last lot of abuse, as he always comes late at night. I want to know what protection I can get for myself. I will not open the door to him tonight and have a neighbour watching for his arrival. As I said he has been away since July, he does stay with another woman with whom he has been having a full partnership with since 2008, although he denies this I do have lots of hard evidence. I have tried to divorce him 3 times so far but am always threatened so I back down, I am going through with it this time despite his threats, to sell the house make me homeless, sell everything in the house and so on. Please advise,on what I can do to stop him coming to the house.
Thank you

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

-Have the police been involved, if so what have they done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Joint names equal share. The police have not been involved

Thank you for confirming. Given that there appears to be a level of at least emotional and verbal abuse which would likely have a detrimental impact to your well-being, and that he is now living elsewhere, you would be entitled to apply to court for an occupation order (to exclude him from the property) and a non-molestation order (an injunction) to protect you from further abuse. Both these can be applied for simultaneously using form FL401 to your local family court.

You should also be aware that legally, he can return to the property as he has a legal interest and he can change the locks back, therefore you should consider proceeding with the above as soon as possible.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you