How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

After 5 years of divorce my ex wife has applied to mediation

This answer was rated:

after 5 years of divorce my ex wife has applied to mediation to change the court order. she is concerned about our two children becoming 18 years old and being homeless. she has out rightly told me she wants a house when all payments to her stop on the children becoming 18. what are my rights with regards ***** ***** court order which she was happy with at the time...5 years ago.
Many thanks

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Was there a financial settlement approved by the court as part of the divorce, if so can you attach a copy of the order using the paperclip icon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in England, I have the court order in front of me but I do not have a scanner at home, only work tomorrow morning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was a financial settlement approved by the court

Please could you scan it tomorrow morning and I will consider it then - the details are relevant before I can provide any clear information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will scan it this morning for you

Thank you - I await this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the consent attached

Thanks for providing this - the order is clear at paragraph 3 of the order and the first paragraph of the recital, specifically stating that this is in full and final settlement of the financial matter and neither of you are entitled to claim from the other. The order cannot be varied as it is a final order approved by the court and she has no legal right to pursue a variation or claim against you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks for your reply. I thought this was the case but i was unsure if the laws had changed in any way. She is fully aware of the contents of this order so I am shocked she has taken me to the mediators. many thanks again

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris