How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife has started divorce proceedings. I have been asked

Customer Question

My wife has started divorce proceedings. I have been asked to complete a form E. Could I request that we use form D81 and get a consent order? What is the difference between Form E and Form D81. We have only been married for 4 years and have no children together. I have two children aged 15 and 13 that live with us. There are no assets acquired during the marriage as we live in rented accommodation although there are assets we both had prior top the marriage. I have three buy to let properties with equity of £150,000 - £185,000 which I have owned for 12 years. My wife has a pension worth £100K, I have a pension worth £40K.I have asked questions about the division of assets before but wasnt sure if this would be a new question or if you would have the details of the previous questions.ThanksMike
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent this letter in response to the letter I had from my wifes solicitor.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. A D81 form is a simplified disclosure form and in most circumstances is used only where there has been agreement to settle and a consent order is submitted to court. A form E enables you both to give full and frank disclosure of all assets (which you need to do even if they were acquired prior to the marriage) and negotiations can thereafter commence taking into account factors such as pre-marital acquisition.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but its not clear. In my case can I use a form D81and not have to bother with form E.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

It is usual for a Form E to be used, not a Form D81 - the D81 is generally used for when you are both satisfied there has been full and frank disclosure and a settlement has been agreed as the Form E is much more detailed than the D81.