How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm paying maintenance for my 2 children age 16 and have

Customer Question

I'm paying maintenance for my 2 children age 16 and have been for the last 10 years. My employment circumstances have changed and my contract expires at the end of October(currently living and working in Dubai but plan to come back to the UK)
My children have been living in New Zealand for the past 6 years and have NZ citizenship as does my ex wife.
My ex wife has also re-married 3 years ago and has a full time teaching job.
I have told my ex wife that I cannot pay any maintenance for for the time being and as I'm 61 years old its unlikely that I will be able to get a job back in my field.
She has told me that I'm legally responsible to pay maintenance until the kids are 19, but this was never agreed through any court and was a verbal agreement.
Just wondered if you could advise me on my rights. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Nicola, I was hoping to get a quick answer to this but looks like no choice but to wait.
Can you please get me the information within the next few days?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What income will you have to live on when you move back to the UK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare, at the moment I do not have any job to go back to in my area of expertise. I will try to get something to keep working even if at minimum wage. At 61 I'm not sure if I will get another job in my field. Of course if this happens then I will pay maintenance again. Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How will you maintain yourself - what will you live off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Clare, not sure why this is relevant to my initial question? I will be returning with the view to get my wife a spouse visa and my son into school in the uk. I will have enough to survive to pay rent, council tax and basic requirements etc
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Any income you have from any source is available to pay child maintenance

If you stop payments then your ex can obtain a Court Order in New Zealand that will be enforceable in the UK.

I asked what you will be living off to gain an idea of how much you may have to pay