How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been divorced from my ex-husband for over 4 years and

This answer was rated:

I have been divorced from my ex-husband for over 4 years and still live in the old marital home which is is in my sole name and owned by me without a mortgage. Recently my ex has attempted to become more controlling and insists that he can onto my property anytime he wants for "the safety of the children ". The last time he did this, he refused to leave the house and I had to call the police to have him removed. This was during my son's GCSES which reduced him to tears as well as me. I have told him that I do not want him on my property at all and that when he picks up the children who are 16 ans 14, he is to call from the car to let them know he has arrived. He is refusing to do this, especially when he is angry at me for some reason. What can I do to stop him? I have Bipolar and find it very distressing.

Hi, thank you for your question. As you are now divorced and the property is in your sole name he has no right to return to it or occupy the property. You should initially formally and in writing inform him not to attempt to return and if he goes against your request you can apply to court for a non-molestation order (an injunction) using form FL401 to your local family court to prevent him coming within 100m of the property. Breach of this order is a criminal offence and would likely be in your interest to have it in place if he does not adhere to your request.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you