How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a divorced UK citizen wishing to marry my American

This answer was rated:

I am a divorced UK citizen wishing to marry my American fiancée, we have filed a I-129F including copies of my decree absolutes from previous marriages. I have received a response from the US Department of Homeland Security requesting further information. They state: the divorce decree does not show evidence of being civilly filed, signed by a judge or magistrate, or recorded. Submit evidence that the divorce decree is final and recorded in the appropriate civil register. Can you please advise what additional information I need to provide? Many thanks David

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first.

Did you send the originals or just photo copies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does this make a difference? I applied to the courts, who send me copies, which I believe we're photocopied by our US attorney and then submitted.

Are you aware that the site charges more for a phone call?

The Decree Absolute issued by the court has a seal on it - that is the evidence that it is valid

Your only option is to submit the originals received form the courts and gently point out to Homeland Security that this is what a Decree Absolute looks like in the UK

the Alternative is to get a formal Affidavit form a Uk lawyer confirming that that is what the Decree Absolute should look like

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any news or thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The copies that I received from the courts are in the US and as far as I remember did not have seals on them, I have attached photos of them.

The seal is the black seal in the top right hand corner - not impressive I realise

I am afraid that the only other option is to get a lawyer in the Staes with experience of UK Family Law to confirm that this is what a Decree Absolute looks like

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the stamp that says the family court?

I am afraid so

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you