How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex wife and i have been divorced now 5 years. she has

This answer was rated:

my ex wife and i have been divorced now 5 years. she has made claims for money for child support although my son is now 23. this has been through the american courts 3 times and i have won the case 3 times. she has now raised a similar claim and i simply can't afford to spend another $75kdefending myself as it goes to appeal and then appellate appeal each time. if i don't defend and there is a judgement in the us in favour of my ex wife for child support can it affect me in the uk? my ex wife lives in america but is a uk citizen.
The basic question is this. I know that I do not meet the criteria to be subject to the outcomes of the judgement in the US, as I am not a US citizen, have no US bank accounts or assets. What I'm not sure about is whether the judgement can be transferred to the UK in any way?

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you .

I am afraid that any Order can be enforced in the UK.

It would take time and substantial effort but it can be done using the Reciprocal Maitenance Arrangements.

As an added problem if the enforcement does take place via UK courts the UK courts cannot change the Order - only control what monthly payment you make towards the Order - if that figure is lower that the actual Order then arrears will arise and will have to be paid off in the long term.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Would the fact I have won three judgements come into play at all?

That is a matter for the court in the States

IF an Order is made there AND the Reciprocal Enforcement route is used the ONLY issue the UK court can control is HOW it is paid not if it shoudl be I am afraid

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you