How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am a mother of 2 boys. Their father has accused me of

This answer was rated:

I am a mother of 2 boys. Their father has accused me of neglect and not taking care of them properly. He was seeing them every weekend except 1 per month and every Wednesday, having them for dinner then bringing them home after a couple of hours.
After the horrible things that he has said about the way I take care of the children I put forward that I would like more quality time with them and suggested every other weekend and for him to collect from school on Wednesday and take them to school on Thursday, thus having more time with them during the week. He has declined this because he works (I work too and have to arrange alternative childcare when I am unable to take or pick them up from school). Where do I stand?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-Are there any court orders in place, if so what?

-Are social services involved, if so what are they doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children are 7 and 8.
There are no court orders in place currently.
No social service involvement although he has threatened this. I was going to contact them myself but I contacted school and informed them of what he had said and implied and they stated that they have no concerns over the children so it wouldn't be necessary.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you