How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been separated from my husband for 6 yrs. My husband

Customer Question

Hello, i have been separated from my husband for 6 yrs. My husband sexually abused my daughter and was convicted of this offence. My daughter Jazz is not his child. I am not sure what to do and have little money to get out of this marriage.
Kind regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question.

-Are you living apart from him?

-Is there a restraining order and is your daughter now safe from him?

-Are you seeking advice in relation to.a divorce only?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Living apart for 6 yrs. He went to prison and a restriction on his movements once released was in place for the rest of the sentence. I am only looking for advice on how to get divorced which avoids contact with him and massive costs as i am not a millionaire.Marie
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. You can proceed with a divorce under the fact of 5 year separation and do not require his consent to obtain this, although you will need to demonstrate to the court that he is aware of the petition. You can potentially do this yourself, and you can find the relevant forms and guidance on each stage here:

The court fee for the divorce is £550 although if you are on a low income you can apply for fee exemption (see here:

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.