How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my ex partner claim on my house if hes on a child abuse

This answer was rated:

Can my ex partner claim on my house if hes on a child abuse charge

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Were you married to each other?

Did he make any financial contribution to the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not married but he paid the mortgage i paid the bills but he had to leave due to a police incident through no fault of mine

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Who paid the deposit and purchase costs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its an ex council house. Its worth around £100,000 and £47,000 outstanding. Its in my name as i was the tenamt. I got £27,000 discount on the price. We didnt need to pay any deposit

How much did you pay for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;64,000 in 2007

Was any agreement made about what share he should have at the time the purchase happened (or later)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No agreements on shares were made. As we have seperated due to child abuse allegations and he has now been he wants money from me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im waiting for a response

My apologies - I missed your last answer

Do you have a child together - if so how old are they

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i have 3 but all aged over 16. There not his children

Are any under 18?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that the fact that he paid the mortgage does give him a potential financial claim on the property I am afraid - and the charges that he is facing do not change that.

However his claim is limited since he will be having to justify what his share should be and it will not be 50% or anything close.

£10,000 to £15,000 is likely to be the most he might achieve in court - with an offer of £5,000 being sensible!

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you