How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have my son alternative weekends I travel 132 miles to

This answer was rated:

I have my son alternative weekends I travel 132 miles to pick him up and drop him over the weekend. I always have him without fail. Me and my ex broke up when my son was born. I have been with my girlfriend for 2.5 years and my son has just turned 3. Sometimes (3 occasions in 2 years) it's not been possible for me to drop him back (not pick up) so I've asked my gf to drop him which she does not mind. My ex the. Has refused to cooperate and threat he. Me with not seeing my child. Please tell me what I can do??

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-Why is the mother threatening you?

-Are there any court orders in place, if so what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mother is saying that she doesn't want new partner around my son or near her house.
No court orders. My gf lives with me and has done for pretty much the full life of my child bar 3/4 months when he was a baby.
I pay all maintenance and always see him.

Thank you - how long have you been with you girlfriend and do you envisage it to be a long-term relationship?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.5 years and yes we have plans to marry and already live together for past 2 years. My son and her have a very strong relationship he adores her as she has been in his life since he was 6months. He often chooses her over me (holding hands playtime etc) me and the child's mother were only together due to a unplanned pregnancy and through the labour we tried it make a go at it but it didn't work. We did not date or have a relationship before she got pregnant.

Thank you - and is the mother opposed to her having any contact at all or just to assist with the handover?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assist with the handover.
Like I say I travel 133 miles and the mother doesn't leave her home. I'm not asking anything other than my partner dropping him off on the odd occasion when she passes that way on her way to work.

Thank you for confirming. It is not reasonable for the mother to attempt to impose such a restriction, especially as your partner is fully involved and present in the actual contact itself. You should therefore write to her to inform that it is necessary, due to your other commitments for your partner to assist in the handover - and you could propose that if she does not wish for your partner to return him, then the mother can attend to collect him.

Furthermore, given the distance in travel for contact, if you have not already factored it in to the child maintenance you are paying, you would have ground to reduce the maintenance you pay to take into account the cost of fuel to travel for handover - so long as the fuel cost is at least £10 a week.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I am satisfied with your service.