How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am divorced but living in the same house as my ex. I now

This answer was rated:

I am divorced but living in the same house as my ex. I now feel I am unable to live in the same house so I am now moving into rented accommodation until the family home is sold.By moving out does this affect my rights with entry to the house and my rights to anything concerning the house. it was agreed in the divorce that on the sale of the house the proceeds will be split evenly down the middle. There is no mortgage on the property

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

i shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

is the house held in joint names?

has there been a final financial order within the divorce proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes the house is in joint names. I don't understand what is meant by a financial order .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The agreement is the sale of the house the proceeds are split down the middle

Was that agreement written down in an Order and sealed by the Court?

When was the Decree Absolute?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was agreed by the court that the house would be split 50/50 the absolute was on the 4th of July 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has told me that he wants the sale to go trough as soon as possible but I'm worried that once I move out he will get comfortable and take his time

If you move out you retain the same rights of return and entry as you have now - he cannot exclude you

You have identified the only real risk of the moving out - that he will drag he feet on the sale.

To avoid this stay in close touch with the Estate Agent.

If it is clear that your ex is sabotaging the sale then you may need to apply for an Order that he vacates the house so that you can have conduct of the sale.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to contact him first before I enter the house if he is not there. I will still have a lot of my possessions there until the sale proceeds so I may need to visit on a regular basis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does he have the right to change the locks when I move out then I will be unable to access the house when I need to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I didn't receive an answer to my last 2 questions

My apologies for the delay

No you do not need to give hm notice and he does not have the right to change the locks if he give syou a key.

You have every right to re-enter the property when you wish - breaking in if necessary!