How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I been married with my new husband for 2 years and his

Customer Question

hi i been married with my new husband for 2 years and his previous marriage he had 1 child age 4 , he was married his ex wife for 4 years and she never worked had 1 child , after divorce she asked 250 000 plus 1000 a month with 5 yearly lump sum of 50 000 , as she wanted 2000 a month child maintanace for 1 husband paid 250 000 plus he been paying 1000 month , he been forced to pay or shewas not divorcing....after divorce 2 years ago , immediate after their divorce she left to her home country she now lives in latvia and still asks child maintanace agreed on court of 1000 a month plus 50 000 lump sum every 5 years ....till kid 18 ....we now try to apply court as we cant afford....i have 3 sons they have no father and now we have new baby on the way so we be 4 kids and 2 adults family....we aarn mine 1000 a month his salary 5500 a month and we have mortgage , bills to we have any chance to win the court ?? may i ask ?? she lives in latvia she already got 250 000 plus past 2 years he paid 1000 a month but now he wants to reduce child maintatnce to 500 a month instead of 1000 plus lump sum ....many thanks .... extra information age of ex wife is 36 , she now lives in latvia with the child , child never comes to uk . she does not work and she is not married again husband her ex husband is age 53 he owns a ltd company he earns 5500 a month he now has a property jointly owned with me ....when the 2 ofthem married she never worked and they never owned anything joint . they were married 4 years total .he has no savings but he has company and 2 flats bought 10 years ago ....that all he has ...but he has 200 000 loan of debt .. he now looks after my 3 kids as my kids has no father plus we expect a new baby in couple of months . i earn 1000 a month so both earnings be 6500 a month . we pay mortgage of 1800 and top of that we have bills to add although she never worked or tittle joint anything with him he still given her 250 000 lump sum on the day of their divorce ...we also have her public posts of she travels alot and use money for luxury life than for the kid...hope somebody can answer these many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Was there a court order regarding the amount of money he paid her and that she is seeking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the court order was the lump sum of 200 000 plus she asked 200 a month child maintanance but this she wanted 1000 a month plus 50 000 every 5 years lump sum to divide the 2000 a month ...this all been on court order and now my husband is trying to tell the court can they change the order as his circumstances are changed we married and we have 3 kids plus one on the way so financially he wont be able to cope her needs......
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach the court order using the paperclip icon please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i do not have any file on lap top ..all papers went to solicitor ,,,,we just wanted to reassurance an expert view before things hit alot information i have given , on those basis would be grateful just to get an estimated answer ...would be appreciated.....court order as said was 1000 a month and 50 000 lump sum of every 5 years till child is 18 , child is 4 now......and this order been made as wife asked and husband signed without fight , under pressure accepted her wishes now he would like to argue about the order been given in the circumstances of him been under pressure not even living in his house while wife was divorcing him and not letting him to property any papers or personal belongings....second he wanted her to go quick so he accpeted all her wishes all this information , even may not be enough but all we wanted was an estimated answer..many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In relation to spousal maintenance payments, if he can no longer afford these payments he would entitled to apply to court to vary the spousal maintenance amount, however the court.

In relation to lump sum orders - if these are specifically referred to as lump sum payments this is not variable and he would be liable to pay what has been ordered.

Furthermore, if she remarries then the spousal maintenance provision automatically ends.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dear sir i did not ask spousal maintenance ....i asked CHILD MAINTENANCE ...THE ARGUMENT IS CHILD MAINTENANCE COSTS.....which she ask for 1 child live in latvia 2000 pound a month ,but divides this to 1000 a month plus 50 000 every 5 yearly payments lump sum comes from that 5 yearly payments of 50 000 is also child maintenance costs....i am sorry but my question is completely different than the answer of spousal maintenance.....many thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the confusion. Could you take a photo of the order an upload it here using the paperclip icon? It will be easier for me to assess