How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Can my child's father stop me moving away with the children

This answer was rated:

Can my child's father stop me moving away with the children within the UK? He has parental responsibility but they primarily live with me

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-From which area to which area do you propose to move?

-What are the arrangements for the father to see the children and are there any court orders reflecting this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Age 4 and 2.Currently informal arrangements in regards ***** ***** of him for children - arranging mediator input though to put this to paper. No current court orders.Move is from Leeds to Sc**thorpe areaMany thanks

What have the arrangements been in the last year - eg. frequency and duration and has he kept to the arrangements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the issue in that there was an occasion he put them in danger (unsafe environment) so I didn't allow him to have them on one weekend - so seeing a mediator to make this clear (where he takes them, duration and so forth)He currently now sees them twice a week during the week for approx 4 hours, and my daughter only an extra day for approx another 4 hours then in regards ***** ***** one weekend one night, the next 2 (alternating)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He used to see them more often within my home but due to his verbal aggression that has been stopped

Thanks for confirming. As he has parental responsibility and the move will likely impact the current informal arrangements, he has a right to be consulted regarding the move and can apply to court for a prohibited steps order. However, as the location is only 1 hour away, it would be in your interest when proposing the relocation to also propose reasonable provision for contact to take place on a regular basis.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's a prohibited steps order please?

This is an order prohibiting you from doing something, in this case it will be relocation. Whether such an order will be granted depends on whether the relocation is in the best interests of the children.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you