How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My ex husband is denying me access to my children by

Customer Question

My ex husband is denying me access to my children by demanding £700 to see them what can I do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-How old are the children?

-What have the arrangements to date been?

-What is the basis for the £700?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11 and 15
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previously arrangements have been every 2 weeks plus a midweek over night stay, but recently it's been once a month for 8 hours that's it.
The children have not seen their mother for 11 weeks.
He says it's to pay for their school uniform and trips even though he says we are not allowed to have anything to do with their schooling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a financial director and I am on benefits
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

-Are you supposed to be their main carer or is he?

-Are the arrangements you referred to for you or him?

-What benefits are you on, and how much do you receive each week?

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is their man as he has custody.
The arrangements were for reasonable contact.
I'm am on pip which disabilitie allowance around £600 a month
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming. Given your financial circumstances any child maintenance will be £17 per week. If you are on universal credit this will be £7 per week. However, arrangements for the children should not be on the basis of you paying him money as the children still have a right to a relationship with you.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the children's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.