How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My dad died 3 years ago and his girlfriend wont let me or my

Customer Question

My dad died 3 years ago and his girlfriend wont let me or my brothers have any of his things. Is there anything i can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did your father leave a Will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was the executor. However he dies suddenly and there was no mention of any posessions.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Who did he leave his estate to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didn't have an estate. Just a lot of debt.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

But who did he want to have whatever he did have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare. I just dug out his will (please see attached) His estate was left to me and my brothers.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

In that case all of your father's possessions belong to you and his former girlfriend has no right to retain them.

In fact by doing so she is committing theft.

I would suggest that you write a calm formal letter informing her that as Executors of your father's Estate you wish to take control of all his remaining possessions and that if she fails to hand them over you will report the matter to the police AND you will sue her for the return of the goods or their monetary value.

The second threat is there as to be honest it is unlikely that the police will take any action

I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details