How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My niece has given her baby to us and we have applied for an

Customer Question

My niece has given her baby to us and we have applied for an SGO and now going through the assessment for the court. We have had the baby since birth and his is now nearly 9 months of age. My niece has just disclosed who the father is and the social worker has now got to include him in the assessment. The person whom hashe been named as the father has been arrested for child abduction of an 13 yr old boy and involved with drugs he is also not named on the birth certificate. What are our chances of keep the baby?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

I she likely to want to have the care of the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she just wants to see him once a month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure about him. From the messages I've seen his said he will do his best for the baby. My niece has asked him to come and see the baby but he never has.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - it was the father I was referring to.

If both parents agree that you should have the care of the child then there is no reason why the applictaion should not be successful.

If he does wish to have the care of the child he will have to have a formal assessment - and from what you have said his chances of success are very limited

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His had no contact with the child at all. We have had the child from birth so know his had no direct contact. Would you suggest we get ourselves a solicitor now as we have done all the paperwork for the court ourselves as my niece is in agreement. We live in Skelmersdale Lancashire is the any you would recommend.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

At the moment you do not need to do so.

There is no reason to think that there will be a problem.

Only if the Report is not favourable may you need assistance - and you should then look on this website

for someone to represent you