How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34888
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am going through a divorce, I am living with Mom and my

This answer was rated:

I am going through a divorce, I am living with Mom and my wife is in our home with our 16 year old daughter. I am paying the mortgage and will do until she is 18. However when our divorce is through can my wife move her new boyfriend in and me continue to pay the mortgage.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage

What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is worth about £100,000 and there is £50,000 outstanding. No other debts or assets.
there is my wife's car.

What income do you each have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;15,000 and 25,000

How much is the mortgage payment?

Why are you paying it when you do not live there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The payment is 420 per month I was advised it would be in my interest to pay it while my daughter is still at school. Also if I don't the court may ask me to make a monthly lump sum.

Are you also paying child maintenance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not yet the divorce has only just started but I am expecting to

In fact all that you are liable to pay is child maintenance at 12% of your gross income (at most)

On top of that you could have offered to pay half of the mortgage - but it is far from certain that the court would have ordered this.

In addition if your ex brings her partner in then you can ask the court to order the immediate sale of the property - and it is likely that the court will agree - and order a 50/50 share of the proceeds of sale.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you