How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I broke up with my boyfriend 11 years ago we have 3 children

This answer was rated:

I broke up with my boyfriend 11 years ago we have 3 children that he's not paid for ... We have a mortgage together that he refuses to come off unless I pay him half which I can't afford what is he entitled to he's not paid one payment into it he left the month after we bought it?

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-What is his gross salary?

-Whose name is ***** ***** of the property in?

-What is the value of the property and outstanding mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
19 17 16 I also have a child not with him who's 9.... £45000 valued at £90000 when he left both names are ***** ***** don't know what he earns he's been on benefits for years but has a job now

Thanks, ***** ***** few more:

-Are any of the teenage children in A-Levels or approved training (unpaid)?

-Do they stay overnight with him, if so how often each week on average?

-Does he have any other children in his care, if so how many?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eldest lives with him and has a job the others 1 is a college and one at school he's no other children and doesn't see the kids that live with me never has done

So there are 2 that live with you? What are they both studying or are they in approved training?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GCSEs and other is fashoin

Is the fashion course a government approved training course?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. As you have two children in your care who are still in school and on approved training you are entitled to seek child maintenance from him which is based on his gross salary. You can submit an application to the Child Maintenance Service who will investigate his income and come to a calculation as to his liability. However, as there appears not to have been a previous application unfortunately he is not liable for any amounts prior to a calculation being made by the CMS.

In relation to the home, as you are unmarried you are both only legally entitled to a share of the equity of the home in accordance with how the title is held, therefore in equal shares, unless there has been agreement between you that you should be entitled to a greater share.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you