How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I need help as my ex will not let me see my son. I pay child

Customer Question

Hi I need help as my ex will not let me see my son. I pay child maintenance and have done every month for the past 15 years, without fail. I have recently not been paid by my employer, for the past 6 months intact, during this time I have paid 5 months, despite not having an income but cannot afford to pay anymore until I get paid, she is now refusing me access can someone please help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. How old is he and are there any court orders in place, if so what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 15, there is no court order in place, always sorted things amicably but she is not responding not to anything at the moment until I give her money!
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

When does he turn 16 and is he planning on finishing education after GCSESs or to go on to A-Levels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He turns 16 this time next year, he is doing GCSEs at the moment, not sure what his plans are after that yet, he doesn't really know, not a levels though!
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. Firstly, your son has a right to a relationship with you whether you pay child maintenance or not and the mother has no right to stop contact because you missed or cannot make payments. Child maintenance is based on your gross income and if you have no income you have no liability to pay, and she has no enforcement options unless there is a child maintenance service calculation.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the child's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

You should be aware that when he turns 16 thr order will end and it will be for him to decide if he wants to continue seeing you.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.