How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have just had a baby but my partner and I are no longer

This answer was rated:

I have just had a baby but my partner and I are no longer together. I am happy for him to be part of her life but I do not want to put him on the birth certificate as he is Ghanaian and I am worried that if he is on the birth certificate he would be able to get a passport for our baby and take her back to Ghana without consent.
Can you please advise the implications of not putting him on the birth certificate? He has said that he is taking legal advice to get himself added. is this something that he would possibly be able to do?
Many thanks ***** **************@******.***
P.s. As he has now told me he is seeking legal advice, it is now very awkward between us - would it be detrimental for me not to allow him access to our baby until the legal matters are resolved?

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are married to each other and if the only issue is him getting a passport for the child if he was on the birth certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. No we were not married. This is one of the issues, number 2 I think he only wants to go on the birth certificate to get residency in this country and number 3 if he were on the birth certificate he would have parental responsibility and he has spoke about hurting himself and If he were alone with my child I would fear for her safety.

Thanks for confirming. Firstly, as you are not married it is your decision whether he is included on the birth certificate or not. If he is not included and seeks to obtain parental responsibility which you do not agree to he will need to apply to court for a parental responsibility order.

In relation to contact, whether he has parental responsibility or not he is still entitled to seek contact and the child has a right to a relationship with the father which can only reasonably be restricted if there are welfare or child protection concerns - which will include the issues you have raised regarding him harming himself. If you were to restrict arrangements due to this there would be no detriment to you as you will be protecting your daughter.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was great help. Thank you

No worries, I hope it goes well. If you have any questions in the future you can ask for me directly by starting your question For Harris

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

To add to the above

You need to be aware that in fact your ex can apply to the Court for a Declaration Of Parentage which would be granted (assuming he paid for the DNA test) and would allow his name to be added to the Birth certificate but which would NOT give him Parental Responsibility

To get Parental Responsibility he would need to persuade the Court to grant it to him - and your very serious fears of abduction should be sufficient to prevent that happening - unless at the same time the courts made an Order confirming that the child lives with you and that he cannot remove the child from your care

It is rarely wise to stop contact other than for a good reason - so offer contact at a local Contact centre for the time being