How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can you clarify please, i am living with partner not

This answer was rated:

can you clarify please, i am living with partner not married, we share a mortgage, we dont have children, if i left the relationship, what entitlement would she have to my pensions or savings? If the house was to be sold obviously any equity would be shared equally.


Thanks for your question.

{C}1. {C}Did he contribute more in rent/mortgage repayments than he otherwise would have paid if he was living in her own private rented accommodation?

{C}2. {C}Did he make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?

{C}3. {C}Did he pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mortgage is fully 50/50. I'm asking about her potential rights to a share of my pension.


Thanks for your question. I will try to help.

If you are only concerned with your pension and savings and not the equity in the property then it’s straight forward.

Providing that you remain unmarried and without children then she would not be entitled to any of your solely owner assets. This includes your pension and your cash savings.

These are your own assets and will remain so in the event of a break up and she would have no claim on them provided that you have not signed any earlier agreement to let her have a portion of your savings.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back. Please remember to leave positive feedback using the stars at the top of the page.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you