How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34908
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Father died leaving an estate of £1m. The will is

This answer was rated:

My Father died leaving an estate of £1m. The will is straightforward, it all goes to my Mother. As the executor (son) what do I need to do? Do I need a solicitor?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What assets were held in his sole name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
House 600k
3 UK building society accounts £70k total
Premium bonds £50k
Share investment one company £35k

They were all in his SOLE name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then you will need to obtain Probate which will include completing the necessary Tax forms.

You may also wish to have some advice on the best options so far as future Inheritance Tax and/or Care Home costs are concerned

You can certainly deal with the Probate yourself if you feel confident with forms - all you need to do is contact the local Probate Office.

Once you have dealt with that you and your mother should then seek face to face advice from a local Solicitor so that you can ensure that

the future is secure

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you