How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My 14 year old son currently resides with his father, where

This answer was rated:

My 14 year old son currently resides with his father, where he moved to 18 months ago following 9 years of constant emotional harassment, bullying and persistent court appearances, he previously lived with me. The courts were concerned at the move and we agreed a very detailed order with caveats stating that it is imperative that the times the court order states he is with us he is and that they were concerned about fathers ability to promote and prioritise maternal contact. Since the move Dad has continued to harass me and cause conflict between myself and our son. 4 weeks ago my son refused contact and I have not heard from him at all since. I have been trying to communicate through his school and whilst the pastoral care have been helpful they are reluctant to get too involved, which I understand. Interestingly enough since contact ceased I babe had no contact from Dad (which has come as no surprise). So what can I do, I know there is a court order in place and as parents it is our responsibility to ensure it is adhered to but as our son is 14 I cannot physically force him into my car and due to the abusive messages I regularly receive from his Dad I cant communicate through him as I am certain he will be delighted with the current situation. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi, thank you for your question. What efforts have you made to contact and reach the father?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't, his last email to me abused me and told me as soon as our son turned*****oder would not be valid therefore he would stop collecting our son from our home after contact (we live an hour apart so travel has always been shared) so it would all fall on me and what an abject failure to motherhood, scumbag and shit parent I am so I would be wasting my efforts.


Thanks for confirming. It is correct that at*****order ends, unless it specifies it is to last until 18.

In the circumstances I would suggest you formally write to him informing him that he must comply with the court order or you will seek enforcement of the order by the court and set a reasonable time frame for him to comply.

If this is not met, you can apply to court using form C79 and a £155 court fee for enforcement of the order.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Harris, I will consider that, the problem I face is that our son is in a very bitter, negative environment where he will be encouraged to do what "he" (his dad) wants so whilst I can apply to enforce an order I can't make a 24 year old boy who is already bigger than me getvin my car can I?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, 14!

Unfortunately, given his age if he does not want to attend contact with you he cannot be forced to do so

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you