How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I'm having trouble with my ex changing and stopping me

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with my ex changing and stopping me seeing my child every time we have an argument or heated discussions
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-How old are the children?

-Who do they reside with as a main carer?

-Are there any court orders in place, if so what are the terms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 months, her mum is the main carer and there are no court orders due to the relationship being amicable. We just agree when I want to see them, and make it work Just tired of my daughter being used as a weapon if we have argument. I would love custody of my daughter. I make sure I go out my way to see her as much as I possibly can. I have also been given a week to spend with her at my house which I think will not happen. I know have to wait over 10 days before I can see my daughter again as we have set weekends I have her.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Your daughter has a right to a relationship with you which must be reasonable and you should both be aware of the routine so that it can be planned for and so that there is consistency.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you make a referral to an independent mediator (you can find local ones here: The mediator will assist you both in reaching an amicable agreement that is in the child's best interests. If mediation does not help, then you will be able to pursue an application to court under Form C100 together with a £215 court fee to your local family court for a child arrangement order and the court can make a decision regarding the matter. For your information the Court will take into consideration the following when making a decision regarding the application:

1. The wishes and feelings of the child concerned
2. The child’s physical, emotional and educational needs
3. The likely effect on the child if circumstances changed as a result of the courts decision
4. The child’s age, sex, backgrounds and any other characteristics which will be relevant to the court’s decision
5. Any harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering
6. Capability of the child’s parents (or any other person the courts find relevant) at meeting the child’s needs
7. The powers available to the court in the given proceedings

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you,

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.