How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My grandson's partner has mental health issues which she

This answer was rated:

My grandson's partner has mental health issues which she does not address by taking her medication. They have a 4 month old child. Following a heated dispute on Monday the child's social worker was called and would not allow the mother to take the child but said he was to remain with the father and the mother had to go to the doctor to review her medication. They had been living with the paternal grandmother. The child's mother went to her family who live 70 miles away. The social worker has arranged a meeting for tomorrow for the mother to be given custody of the child. Her mental health issues are not resolved and she has never had sole charge of the baby. She is 17 and has no family here in London. Do we have a case in insisting the child stays with his father in a secure and safe environment with extended family support.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is your grandson's name on the birth certificate?

Why do Social Services think the child should be placed with mum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is named as the father. That's what we don't know. The mother has had mental health problems since the age of 12 - suicidal thoughts, self harming etc. On her admission she always stops taking medication 'because it does not work'. She has had a very unsettled and traumatic upbringing and moved in with my son and his mother (my daughter) and has caused chaos in our family with her anger and violent outbursts. My grandson took the baby to his fathers house on Monday and the social worker said he could stay with him while the girl went to her mothers for the week. When she returns tomorrow it sounds as if she will apply for emergency housing. Surely the social worked should be looking to the child's needs first and not the mother's. The child his father, grandmother, grandmother, aunt and great grandmother who have been in his life since birth - his mother has no support network.

Have there been any Care Proceedings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been Child in Need since Birth but on Monday the Social Worker said he was now a Child at Risk


Your Grandson as as much right as his partner to have the child in his care and Social Services have no right to remove the child from his care - even to give the child to the mother.

He should say calmly that he is not prepared to let the child go - although he must also make arrangements for the mother to have frequent contact

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you