How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My father died in 1989 and the tenancy of our council house

This answer was rated:

My father died in 1989 and the tenancy of our council house was transferred to my mother. I've lived there with my mother since then. My mother has now died. Can I continue to live at the property.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Do you have a copy of the tenancy terms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't but it's been through the local council for many years.58 to be exact.

I am afraid that in general terms there can only be one Succession of the Tenancy and that happened when it was transferred into your mother's name.

There are some tenancies (often older ones) where a second succession is allowed, but I am afraid that they are rare.

You will need to contact the Council for a copy of the tenancy agreement in order to be certain

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you