How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A few years after my mother died (47 yrs ago) my father sold

This answer was rated:

A few years after my mother died (47 yrs ago) my father sold the family house, moved and remarried a divorced ladywith two boys. Dad did not adopt them but they took on our family name. (I think they have now gone back to their own now Dad has died). Dad died in 1998, without having a Will.
When my Step-mother dies she says she is going to leave the house to HER sons.
Do I and my brother have any claim on this house.
Kind Regards
Christopher Le Bailly

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

Did your father and step mother own the house together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,
I really don't know and as there has been a breakdown in relationships sometime after Dad died, I don't want to ask her the question.
Knowing Dad, I suspect it would have been in joint names.
Best RegardsChris

Then I am afraid that no there is no claim that you and your brother can make on the house.

When your father died it passed to his widow and she is free to do with it whatever she wishes.

I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare,
It is as I suspected but just wanted it confirmed legally.
I appreciate your reply.
Many Thanks

You are most welcome