How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex-partner has given birth to our son and I am on the

This answer was rated:

My ex-partner has given birth to our son and I am on the birth certificate. I was not given any choice as to my sons names. Is it possible for me to argue my right of choice as to my sons middle names? He is only 8 weeks old, I am happy for him to have his mothers surname.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Sadly you have no legal right to choose the names of your child - you could only have done that if you had been married to the mother and were the one who Registered the birth.

This is a matter for negotiation rather than legal action I am sorry

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you