How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

If my children are grown up but my ex has only just come

This answer was rated:

If my children are grown up but my ex has only just come back to this country having gone 12 years paying no maintenance is there any way I can now get him to pay?

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a child maintenance application or decision, or a formal court order previously, which he has not complied with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was all ridiculously loose as we were abroad at the time. He agreed to pay which he did for two months. At the time the children were 10 and 7. They had sporadic visitation and then we moved back to the UK three years later. They only saw him once after that and we have had no contact since. This was over 25 years ago so I do realise it is a long shot. That said we struggled and now I know he is back I feel we should do something

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately the news is not good. Legally he would not have any enforceable liability for child maintenance unless there is a formal child maintenance decision or a court order which he has not complied with.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you