How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have relocated to Northern Ireland with my children from

Customer Question

Hi I have relocated to Northern Ireland with my children from West Sussex we were nearly at an agreement over flights cost etc I have been using a solicitor however I am now representing myself. I would like to know if my husband (childrens step father) is legally required to pay part or all of the children's flights. He does not have Parental responsibility or any sort of guardian ship.
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old are the children and who are they going to see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children are age 10 and 9. I am under a prohibed steps order however my ex husband has agreed they could in order to start school in September. We have a recommend contact order from caffcass in which we agreed to pay half the children's flights so they can visit once a month and half of school holidays. Since this has happened my ex husband has now cut off our family based agreement of £40 per week maintenance to the csa calculation of £5 per week. I was unaware he was going to do this at the time of the caffcass interview. Therefore our financial situation has changed. I do not work and my husband says he will not contribute towards the flights for the children to visit their father but we are unsure if he is legally required to do so?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Your Husband cannot be forced to pay.

However YOU are bound by the Court Order and will be in Contempt of Court if you fail to do so.

Alternatively the Court could Order the return of the Children to West Sussex.

Please ask if you need further details