How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner has recently passed away and on checking his will

This answer was rated:

My partner has recently passed away and on checking his will he put me as his civil partner which I now find is wrong as this is same sex relationship is there anything I can don

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did he also use your given name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says I appoint my civil partner Eileen Thompson

Then you need have no worries about the use of the words "civil partner"

It is clear that he meant you and there is no difficulty in your obtaining Probate of the Will.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I thought putting civil partner meant two people of the same sex and as we obviously wasn't will the will still be legal ? I'm just a bit concerned at showing it to a solicitor or probate if it isn't classed as legal

Such a mistake does NOT invalidate the Will - it is just that - a mistaken use of words and you can obtain Probate

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I know myself it's just a mistake but is it still legal having this mistake on the will ?

Yes the Will is still Legal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I am just so worried about getting going with this and then find I have a problem.

I understand that but I promise there have been much worse mistakes in Wills and they have still been accepted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't suppose I could use your quote when I need to

Of course you can - and if you have problems I will help you sort that out!

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you