How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I have a signed agreement with my ex about child custody

This answer was rated:

Hi. If I have a signed agreement with my ex about child custody (e.g. kids share their time 50/50) is that legally binding? Or to be legally binding would it need to be a court order? Thanks, Ian

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

To be enforceable it would have to be a Court Order I am afraid

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Clare. Would that still be so if it was an agreement drawn up between solicitors and signed? Or wouldn't that make any difference?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if my ex didn't return the kids at the time stated in the signed agreement, would the police be able to make her? Thanks

i am afraid that the fact that solicitors were involved makes no difference and no the Police cannot force her to return the children

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I think she'll stick to it, but I really want peace of mind. So if we're both agreed can we get our agreement made into a court order? A colleague told me about 'consent orders' but I don't know what this means: online search about 'consent orders' they are about money, which doesn't apply in our case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to get a consent order about child custody? Thanks.

Yes it is possible if you go via a Family mediator

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks for your help. I'll get in touch with a family mediator and hopefully they can sort that out for me.