How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My girlfriend is visiting me from France (she is english but

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend is visiting me from France (she is english but lives there) her daughter will be visiting her dad and my girlfriend is worried he may not give her back. They have no official agreements however the father did not try to stop them moving to France 6 years ago where she now goes to school, has a life etc. Can her father keep her and not give her back?

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

If her ex did retain the child then your girlfriend could make an immediate applictaion to the High Court in England for the return of the child to her care so that they can return home.

Under the Hague Convention on Abducted Children (signed by the UK) if the father wishes to challenge where the child lives then he must do so in the French Court.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you