How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Family Law - I have issues regarding contact with my 12 year

Customer Question

Family Law - I have issues regarding contact with my 12 year old son
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Yes - I have a court order for the last 11 years, this has been updated twice (extending contact each time). I had to discipline my son two weeks ago for bad behavior - he has since said he no longer wishes to see me - ex partner is behind this decision
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. In what way did you discipline him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some background:
Ex partner has been very hostile to contact from the start. Every time I have taken the matter to court when she has breached a court order I have re-established contact and extended it. 3 Years ago she was getting my son (8 at the time) to say he did not want contact - when CAFCASS reported on this they established that mother was forcing my son to say this.The issue around the discipline was very minor - I had extended family to lunch, there would be 3 sittings for lunch. My son had originally agreed to sit at the second sitting with the other children his age. When the first sitting took place he became annoyed as he then wanted to sit with an older cousin - I explained this was not now possible as people had started eating. He became very angry and caused a scene and went to his room - I followed him and said in a stern voice "you are being unreasonable and would appreciate you not embarrassing me, the older cousin will sit with you again at the second sitting, come downstairs when you have calmed down". I left it at that, he came down later and everything was fine.My ex-partner has taken this incident and manufactured it into something much worse - she claims I shout at my son a lot and he no longer wishes to see me and stopped all contact.My specific question is I need to take this matter to court to re-establish contact with my son - it is likely my son will say he does not want contact but as was the case 3 years ago I would be confident a good CAFCASS officer would spot that he is being manipulated by his mother.In your experience how will this play out - I am considering fighting for sole residency on the basis that ex partner is manipulating my son causing emotional harm, and that only sole residency can establish contact with both parents.Views?