How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1382
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have submitted a divorce petition which was issues on

Customer Question

Hi, I have submitted a divorce petition which was issues on 11/10/16. If the respondent does not reply can I go straight to the judge for a decision. I have been separated for almost 7 years, no financial arrangements to deal with and no children.
If so, what do I need to do.
thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you today.

First you need to call the court - ask them if they have received a response.

If they haven't the easiest way for you to carry on with the divorce is to have your spouse personally served with a copy of the court papers.

You have two options to do this.

1) you can instruct a court bailiff. This is a set fee of £110. They are sometimes slow.

2) instruct a process server local to you. This may be cheaper and quicker. Have a google search in your area and get a few quotes. If you go for this option you need to ask the court to send you the sealed court papers so you can give them to the process server.

With either option – once service has happened – you can then apply for decree nisi. You just need to attach a copy of the statement provided by the process server or bailiff to say that your spouse has been served.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind regards


Please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am aware of this, but I read I can go direct to the judge, this is what I want to know and what firms I use. It's been 7 years.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.


Do you know where your ex is living?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.

Then you are going to have to have him personally served with the papers.

Asking the Judge for a divorce otherwise will get you nowhere and waste your time.

The court will want to see that you have personally served your ex.

You need to choose the court bailiff or private process server so that you can finalise this divorce.

kind regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received