How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I split with my partner many years ago and we have two

Customer Question

Hi. I split with my partner many years ago and we have two children together. My eldest child has been living with me for the past 6 months and doesn't want to return to her mother. My other child lives with her mother still. Do I legally have to pay maintenance for the child that doesn't live with me? I'm not sure if it's and equal split as we have one child each? Thanks in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old are the children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ClareThe child that lives with me is 15 and the other child is 11
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

How much do you each earn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 20k self employed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not sure what she earns. She is a care worker so probably less than me
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Then you are each liable to pay maintenance to the other in respect of the child in your care at the rate of 12% of 89% of your gross income.

I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most wlecome