How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Please could you advise me if I can leave half the equity of

Customer Question

Please could you advise me if I can leave half the equity of our property without my husband knowing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Are you already holding the property as Tenants in Common?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added my husband to the Mortgage some 10 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to leave my half to my daughter on my death.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do you know if you and your husband agreed to hold the property as "joint tenants" or as "Tenants in Common" - the first is where the survivor takes it all - the second is where you each have your own share?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im away from home at work so cant view the mortgage details. Please just give me a brief overview of both scenarios thank you. Julie
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

It is not about the mortgage - it is about whether you agreed that you would each own a specific "share" of the property or not.

The fact that you are not certain suggests that you own the property and Joint tenants - which means that the property passes to the survivor of you automatically outside of any Will.

This means that if you do wish to give your half of the property to your daughter in your Will then you will need to "Sever the Joint Tenancy" first

Unfortunately this can only be done with your ex's knowledge

You can read more here

If the Tnenacy is severed then you can certainly leave it to whomsoever you wish in your Will

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details