How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner has a criminal conviction of communication

Customer Question

Hi, my partner has a criminal conviction of communication domestic. I would be looking for my partner to adopt my boy in the future but am worried that this conviction would cause a problem with this and am looking for some advice so I know where I stand.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Could you just clarify what the conviction was for please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the conviction.
" communication domestic"
My partner apparently contacted his ex after she got out of prison for stabbing him. He apparently phoned her and she said she felt threatened. I say apparently because it's all nonsense. He was given a fine, but refused to pay so got 100 hrs community service.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Provided that is all that happened then it should not prevent the Adoption - but it would be sensible to be very "upfront" about it and ensure that there is paperwork confirming the chrage and the sentence

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that is 100% all that happened. I'm not sure if he has all the paperwork but surely this can be checked and the charge would be there ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Yes the checks will reveal it - but getting copies of the paperwork in advance would be wise

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where and how would he go about getting copies of the paperwork ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay.

If he has not kept copies then his solicitor may have done