How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34903
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I was made redundant in April of this year, have used my

Customer Question

I was made redundant in April of this year, have used my redundancy pay to keep everything going and am now down to my last 10k. I am actively seeking work but can no longer afford the £900 a month to my ex husband. I can't afford Withers' fees and need to know what I have to do to vary the order until I am back in employment. My ex is being awful and is threatening me with court action if I don't pay.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I responded to your question in error. I will opt out so that another expert can assist you. Many thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My name is Clare

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is this Child or Spouse maintenance?

when was the Order made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is child maintenance for my two children (£450 each), they spend their time split between me and my ex husband but I have more nights than he does. He is a self employed architect and I was working in the City. The Order was put in place in March 2016 when the divorce was finalised. He is pleading poverty but I effectively have no income only the 10k left from my redundancy. I used to earn 220K a year in the City. He's had 45% of my pension and half the equity in the former matrimonial home. What I need to know is how do I ask the court to vary the Order until I am in employment again and how much does it cost? I don't want to break the terms of the Order but I can't pay what I haven't got.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Please stop paying.

You need a Form A available here

The fee is £245.

You are asking for a downward variation and the remission of any arrears that arise as a result of the time the court takes to process the matter

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details