How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now
Family Law
This answer was rated:

I have separated from my girlfriend and mother of my 2

children (3 & 7yrs old),
We... Show More
children (3 & 7yrs old),
We didn't own a house together and I have just inherited £30,000 which I intend to use as a deposit on a house. My girlfriend is saying she is going to take me for half of the money or house I buy, can she do that?
I'm paying the amount of money calculated by the CSA although this is done through a private agreement.
Show Less
Ask Your Own Family Law Question

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Are you in England or Wales?

-What is her accommodation position?

-What are the arrangements for the children?

-What are your respective incomes and do you pay child maintenance?

Customer reply replied 11 months ago.
In England
She is in our rented family home current but will look for something smaller
The children are living with their mum as I work away mon-fri. I have them on a Saturday and will have them over night when I have accomadation sorted as with parents at the weeken.
I earn £40k ish depending on overtime. She earns about £15,00 and is applying for tax credits etc. I have agreed to pay the CSA recommended £500 per month for the children but this is a personal agreement and not through CSA at this stage. Until her tax credits etc are sorted then I'm paying the rent and bills.

Thank you. Firstly, she has no legal interest in your assets and so long as you continue to meet your child maintenance liability and she is able to house herself and your child she cannot claim any financial relief from you - this is because you are not married.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.