How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask michael holly Your Own Question
michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7050
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
michael holly is online now

I live in NZ but all these matters below are situated in the

Customer Question

Hi there,
I live in NZ but all these matters below are situated in the UK. Recently my Grandmother passed away. My father who has ignored me for a number of years (not sure why) has overseen the will and my grandmothers estate.
Regardless of why my father does not communicate with me, I had a good relationship with my Grandmother who communicated with me and my children via letters. I know that she would have liked for me to have received something even if it was just a wee trinket.
My question therefore is, do I have a legal right to see her will and if my father is selling our family home (where I grew up) with plans to move into my Grandmother's home. Do I have any inheritance rights or can I put a caveat on the home to prevent selling until matters have been resolved.
I would like to sort this out with my father but he simply does not respond to me at all.
Kind regards
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  michael holly replied 9 months ago.

This is one of the most common problems that we are asked about.

I do not know why it is that the person who is named Executor so frequently refuses to share information with the rest of the family but it happens so often.

The Executor of the Will has no duty to advise a beneficiary in the Will or family members of what the position is. Their job is to wind up the estate and , essentially turn it into cash to be distributed to the named beneficiaries in the Will. It is at that time that everyone will know who got what.

It takes time to wind up an estate and the Executor should not distribute the estate for at least 6 months although it may , in any event, take longer than that if a property has to be sold.

What you can do , however, is apply for a copy of the Grant of Probate from the Probate Registry as this will have issued to your father , is a public document and will have the Will attached to it.

Given the distance, I would suggest you contact any firm of solicitors who do probate and as them to get it for you. The cost should be pretty minimal.

I hope this assists. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes


Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 35 years - this is in addition to not instead of the above.

You can use the service here to request a copy of the Will

You cannot prevent your father from selling his home

Expert:  michael holly replied 9 months ago.

Clare is correct and I am grateful for her assistance. You can order online and pay the fee by credit or debit card.

Best regards