How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10239
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have been separated from my wife for nearly 3 years. We

Customer Question

I have been separated from my wife for nearly 3 years. We own three houses jointly and there's a fourth property that she solely owns.
We have had a verbal agreement, that she keeps the matrimonial home and the one owns solely by her and I gets to keep the next two.
However, I can't seem to remove my name from the matrimonial property as she can't get a mortgage on her own.
On the other hand, I can raise a mortgage for the two that I am supposed to have but shes now reluctant to take her name off these two because of her financial situation.
Can you advise me on the best way to deal with this situation?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Hello - What is her financial situation that has become problematic? are you both needing to remortgage?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Her earnings are quite low and yes we both wants to remortgage
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

While she may be able to remove her name from the deeds, even the court cannot order her removed from the mortgage if the lender will not agree. If that’s the case, then the only option is for those properties to be sold. The court may, in the short term, order her to “use best endeavours” to remove her name from the mortgage and to pay the mortgage and indemnify you in the interim. If she stops paying the mortgage, then you would be quite entitled to take her to court and apply for an order for sale to compel her to sell it and remove you from the mortgage.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.