ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My daughters dad keeps threatening to take me to court to

My daughters dad keeps threatening to take me to court to get his name put on her birth certificate but I don't trust him to have any p.r over her she's nearly 3 can he do this?

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- why dont you trust the father?

- is the father currently having a relationship with your daughter? If so, what is the routuine?

- what are your concerns about the father having PR?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We have been together for 4 years he still lives with his mother is unemployed don't claim job seekers he sees us every day I have my own council property and have 4 other children from previous relationship
An claim benefits when she was around 2 weeks old we had a bit of a fall out where he threatened me with ( I'm coming to take my daughter) I replied with you've got no chance an hour later all was forgotten an friends again the day I registered her he was doing community service either way I feel he wants p.r because he's a lazy bum wants to claim her income support or take her from me he doesn't look after her I do he's 25 I'm 31

Thank you for your response.

Please do accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you. I was not available yesterday evening.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are having with the father.

I must be honest with you and tell you that should the father make an application to court then a court would likely grant him parental responsibility.

What you need to understand about PR is that this is still limited. A person with PR can obtain information in respect education and well being. Having PR does not mean that a child should live with a parent - this is quite separate and should the father make an application for your daughter to live with him, then given what you have said I do not think such an application would be successful. You have always been the main carer and provider for your daughter and the court would want to maintain this for your daughter.

A court would want a child to have a good relationship with both of their parents and courts do seek promote this as long as it is safe to do so. The father would need to be commited and be able to meet you daughters need. The father is seeing your daughter daily which is a good thing but this does not mean a court would make an order for her to live with him if he isnt able to meet her needs. Your daughter also has siblings and a right to a relationship with her siblings. A court isnt going to want to separate siblings.

let me know if I can help you further

kind regards

Caroline

Positive feedback is gratefully received