ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

If i believe my daughter has finished college and is working

if i believe my daughter has finished college and is working can I insist on proof that she is in full time non advanced education and if not received stop paying CMS payments ( she will be 19 in October)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i.e. stop paying end of August (before new school year starts) / or maybe October (when she is 19)?

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

The short answer is - Yes.

Ask the mother and if no joy also ask the CMS.

If your daughter is no longer in full time non advanced education and you have been paying through the CMS then you would no longer be liable.

You would have to pay for September as well but that would be the last month. The September is also normally the month when the mother stops receiving child benefit.

kind regards

Caroline

Positive feedback is gratefully received.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to clarify - if no joy from both mother and CMS (as I have no confidence in their service) I am still legally entitled to stop paying in September and would only have to start again if they provide proof of a relevant course? Many Thanks

I would err on the side of caution and make sure you ask the CMS to push this for you if you have no joy with the mother.

It sounds like you haven't had a good experience with the CMS but you are no longer liable if she finishes full time non advanced education so they will have to check this out for you.

I dont want you to just stop paying and end up being chased for arrears if she is still in full time non advanced education so keep pushing this with the CMS for them to find out for you.

kind regards

Caroline

Positive feedback is gratefully received