How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1494
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I got married in May 2014 to a lady who holds a Vietnamese

This answer was rated:

I got married in May 2014 to a lady who holds a Vietnamese Passport and is living here in the UK on a Biometric Residency Permit (BRP, 2nd one since living here), she has a 12 year old daughter (by another relationship) also on a Vietnamese passport. I want to divorce her and my question is if I do am I legally responsible for her daughter's financial support?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.

Please may I ask:

- the question states that your wife and her daughter are residing in the UK - but the quesion quotes the countty as Germany - where are you residing?

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know why it says Germany, I'm residing in the UK


Thank you for your response.

I wil be able to call in approx 5 minutes.

kind regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you


It was nice to speak with you.

Just to follow up:

- you are not responsible for Child Maintenance through the Child Maintenance Service as you are not a biological parent.

- The child would be treated as a child of the family in respect of dealing with the matrimonial finances pursuant to divorce.

You explained that you are paying significant monies to the mother, her rent, bills, a lump sum payment each month and that you had invested in a business for her. Yet your own assets are very limited and this is not sustainable to you.

I have explained the marriage is a short one and given also the long period of separation the mothers claimm would be limited. The court would want to ensure that the needs of the child are met which includes housing but that the mother also has to mitigate her own circumstances.

I suggest family mediation to try and reach an agreement as to the financial arrangements moving forward. Family mediation will help in relation to disclosure of yours and your wifes assets, income and outgoings so that effective discussions can take place in relation to needs moving forward.

If agreement can be reached at mediation then make sure that a consent order is submitted to the court when applying for decree absolute to make this legally binding. It is worth instructing a solicitor at that point to make sure that the consent order is prepared correctly and protects your interests moving forward.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions as this thread remains open for me to answer those for you.

kind regards