Harris, Family Law Expert
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters

How do you have to be apart for legal separation ie divorced

how long do you have to be apart for legal separation ie divorced

Hi, thank you for your question. There is no specific time, but the length of separation allows you various ways to divorce. For example if you have been separated for two years you can divorce under this separation length with the agreement of your spouse. If separated for 5 years or more then you can pursue under the amount of separation time without the requirement for agreement. If separated for less than 2 years you need to consider applying under unreasonable behaviour or adultery.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you