How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35219
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I reside in the UK...My ex wife and I divorced over 4 years

This answer was rated:

Hi..I reside in the UK...My ex wife and I divorced over 4 years ago and have two children. We agreed that I pay £200 a month per child at time of divorce. My eldest is now working therefore I stopped paying for her over a year or so ago. My youngest (now 16) came to live with me 2 years ago. She has now decided to go and live with her mother as this works in her favour as she is starting a 2 year college course. I assume I still have to pay maintenance for her? However, I did not recieve a penny when she (my daughter) lived with me. Is/was her mother liable?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No...It was a verbal agreement
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only if it's pertniant

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Assuming that she had an income then yes your ex should have paid maintenance whilst your daughter lived with you - but sadly it is too late for you to make a claim - or at least you can only claim until she moves.

Once she has moved to live with her mother you will be liable again - and you can work out how much you will have to pay

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you