How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35211
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife are seperated at the moment for the last 4 months.

This answer was rated:

My wife are seperated at the moment for the last 4 months. Where do I stand legally if my in laws have attended the address and changed the locks without informing me and can I prosecute them. Our marital home is jointly owed where I pay the full mortgage along with the majority of the bills.
Am I entitled to leave in the address until the house gets sold?

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Your wife has no right to change the locks - or ask her parents to do it.

You are entitled to a key - or to break in if necessary (unless your ex is in the house at the time)

You are entitled to live in the house unless there has been a court order dealing with the occupation of the property

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Clare thanks for you answer. Can I prosecute the in laws?

No I am afraid not what they did is not criminal and the police would not be interested

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you